SFU Innovates is ready to be seen at the 2017 #BCTECH Summit
For the second year in a row, Simon Fraser University is a proud Innovation Industry Partner for the #BCTECH Summit, co-hosted by the BC Innovation Council and the Ministry of Technology, Industry and Citizens’ Services. The summit is fast approaching on March 14-15 at the Vancouver Convention Centre.
#BCTECH is the largest technology conference in British Columbia showcasing the province’s vibrant technology industry. The summit provides an opportunity for building cross-sector business opportunities and exploring the latest ideas and innovations fueling our economy.
SFU Innovates is a university-wide strategy that builds on our dynamic culture and seeks to strengthen SFU’s commitment to innovation and entrepreneurship. This strategy fuels SFU’s vision to be Canada’s leading engaged university, and helps students and researchers mobilize their ideas for positive social and economic impact. SFU Innovates does this by building upon four interconnected pillars of entrepreneurship, incubation and acceleration, social innovation, and fostering and nurturing industry and community partnerships. SFU’s vast involvement at #BCTECH showcases the SFU Innovates strategy and is a testament to our vision.
The following are just some of this year’s highlights for SFU at #BCTECH:
- 10 SFU researchers—including their students and/or research partners—have been selected to showcase their innovative projects in the following areas at the summit: Research Runway, Innovation Runway – Health & Life Sciences, Future Realities, Start-up Square, and Wearable Runway.
- SFU Innovates will be located at booth #637 in the Marketplace area of the summit. SFU researchers will be demonstrating their projects, and SFU staff will be available to speak to visitors about SFU Innovates and KEY, SFU’s Big Data Initiative.
- SFU will be participating in Youth Innovation Day to provide valuable information on education and career opportunities for students, led by SFU’s Director of Entrepreneurship & SFU Innovates Leader, Dr. Sarah Lubik. Visiting SFU on Youth Innovation Day allows for high school students, post-secondary students, and recent graduates to explore education and career opportunities in technology with the University.
- On Day 1 of #BCTECH, Stephanie Simmons, Canada Research Chair in Quantum Nanoelectronics and Assistant Professor, Department of Physics, Simon Fraser University, will be giving a keynote on, “The Quantum Effect: How BC Tech is Changing the World.”
- SFU will be participating in the following breakout sessions:
- Michael Filimowicz, Senior Lecturer, School of Interactive Arts and Technology will be speaking in the session, “CX is the new UX: Building Customers Through Great Experience” on March 14, between 1:15pm to 5:00pm.
- Sarah Lubik, Director of Entrepreneurship and Elicia Maine, Academic Director, Science and Technology Commercialization, Beedie School of Business will be speaking in the session, “Pulling Cleantech Innovation into the Market” on March 15, between 1:15pm to 3:15pm.
- Diane Gromala, School of Interactive Arts and Technology Professor and Canada Research Chair will be giving a presentation in the “Ones to Watch” session on March 15, between 1:15pm to 3:15pm.
We are greatly anticipating #BCTECH and look forward to connecting with you at the summit!